About visiting Heerenveen

> as Frisian isn't a global language yet

Moderators: Beheerders, Fanmasters

About visiting Heerenveen

Berichtdoor thecottager » 31-08-2013 12:26

Good day!

My name's Mark and I live in Mansfield, England. You may wonder why I registered to this forum.
Well, I can tell you guys that I'm a big supporter of Fulham, a football club from South-London, where I was born. My uncle, however, is a supporter of Leeds United, which is located a lot closer to Mansfield than Fulham. As he has been supporting Leeds for over 30 years, he's gone through many games by now. One of these games is a UEFA Cup game against Partizan Belgrade, which was played in the stadium of Heerenveen, due to riots in their country. My uncle went on a trip to the Netherlands to watch this game, which ended in a 3-1 victory for Leeds. Unfortunately I was too young to go with him, but I've watched the game on TV. Now you may know why I registered at this forum! My uncle would like to visit the stadium of Heerenveen again. And this time, he wants to take me with him! The problem is, it seems to be impossible to get tickets for a home game of Heerenveen. As we don't really speak Dutch ( 8) ), we don't understand anything of the club's website at all.
We'd like to visit either Heerenveen-Cambuur or Heerenveen-Vitesse. Only these dates are rather reasonable to us.
Can you guys give us some advice regarding buying tickets for a Heerenveen home game, especially these?
You could make our day, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mark Hughes :wink:
thecottager
Bankzitter

Re: About visiting Heerenveen

Berichtdoor Eric » 31-08-2013 12:52

Hi Thecottager,

Welcome to this forum, always nice to have people from abroad visiting us.

I would advice you to send an e-mail to info@sc-heerenveen.nl and/or ticketing@sc-heerenveen.nl. Tell the story what you've written here and I am sure they can handle your request.

For visiting sc Heerenveen matches you need a special card, which is called clubkaart. This card is used so the club knows whoes visiting the matches. Especially for the match against Cambuur, which are our rivals, this is important. So if the club rejects your proposal you have to register yourself for a card or maybe you can lend one from one of our forummembers.

Good luck and sorry for the broken English ;)
Eric
Superster

Berichtdoor thecottager » 07-09-2013 08:51

Finally I managed to get two tickets for the clash between Heerenveen and Cambur. Fortunately, I didn't need to apply for a club card at all! They appreciated our wish to visit Heerenveen.
It took me a few days to manage this, but so far, so good! I don't know our seats yet, but I can get my tickets by simply walking to the ticket office and showing them our identities.
Now there's only a few weeks remaining till this match, and we're bloody looking forward to it!! :wink:

Thank you for your advice!!

@Eric
Never mind, you're doing well! Not hard understanding your writing! :wink:
thecottager
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Appie_M » 07-09-2013 08:59

You've picked a great match to drop by. Heerenveen vs Cambuur is the most important match this year from a fan's perspective. Besides, this match hasn't been played for 13 years, so there will be a great atmosphere and hopefully a great match. You'll certainly get a lot of bang for your buck! :)

And while you're here in Friesland, you're always welcome to drop by for a beer or two. We are always happy to welcome foreign footbalfans!
Wij zijn Fries, wij zijn één, wij zijn sc Heerenveen!
Appie_M
Superster

Berichtdoor thecottager » 07-09-2013 09:07

Well, that sounds rather impressive! I don't think I should expect a derby like Fulham - Chelsea, but I suppose it will be fun to experience such a foreign derby.
I don't know any of your pubs and bars, of course, but every club has it's own pub! :wink:
It would be great to meet some of you before or after the game. My first goal is to get to Heerenveen from Amsterdam in time. :lol:

Thanks again for your hospitality!!
thecottager
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Frisian Viking » 07-09-2013 10:59

thecottager schreef:Well, that sounds rather impressive! I don't think I should expect a derby like Fulham - Chelsea, but I suppose it will be fun to experience such a foreign derby.
I don't know any of your pubs and bars, of course, but every club has it's own pub! :wink:
It would be great to meet some of you before or after the game. My first goal is to get to Heerenveen from Amsterdam in time. :lol:

Thanks again for your hospitality!!

Well, that won't be hard. Less dan two hours driving in this small country. Guess it wil be crowdy in Heerenveen, but it is a small town, so distances are small. Walking from the centre to the stadium won't take any longer then 15 minutes.

You've picked a great game. As Appie_M allready said the most important game of the season. Not played for thirtheen years and against the greatest rival. I think you know what that does with a footballfan :-) . The atmosphere will be extremely tense.
In de naam van de vader
Van de zoon
Van de Heilige Geest

Abe
Frisian Viking
Superster

Berichtdoor Mackan68 » 07-09-2013 11:49

If i may give you a good advice: Come to Heerenveen early. So you won't get the nerves getting into slow traffic or traffic jam. But i guess you already had plans to go there early to visit a pub. You could drink some in café Skoffel and meet die-hard Heerenveen fans.
Voetbal, een spel van dood, gladiolen en grijze muizen
Mackan68
Superster

Berichtdoor Frisian Viking » 07-09-2013 15:17

That is some good advice from Mackan. As I said before, Heerenveen is a small town and before and after normal games traffic jams occure often. Most times it won't be a problem to be on time for the match, because the traffic jams are most of the time solved well before the game starts. But at this match things will be different I guess, because it is likely the police will take safety measures this day.

Finding a good parking spot is going to be a bigger probem because you are not allowed to park everywhere and the best spots will be occupied early. If I may give you some advice, take the exit to McDonalds (It is most likely you are going to drive via Joure/De Jouwer), I guess that exit says 'Heerenveen Centrum'. Turn right twice at the traffic lights and then take the first to the left. Now you are on a parking lot that has a ten minutes walking distance to both the centre and the stadium and is close to the highway (coordinates for Google Maps: 52.96489, 5.92946).

But maybe other members have another great spot for you.
In de naam van de vader
Van de zoon
Van de Heilige Geest

Abe
Frisian Viking
Superster

Berichtdoor Appie_M » 07-09-2013 17:50

You could also park your car at the train station and walk from there to the stadium. Shouldn't take any longer then 15 minutes by foot. And like Mackan said, you're welcome at Café Skoffel to drink a beer or two before the game starts, or after the match to celebrate our victory. Just send one of us a PM if you need directions or advice.
Appie_M
Superster

Berichtdoor thecottager » 07-09-2013 19:21

@Frisian Viking
Your parking spot seems to be both near the motorway and the stadium. Is it a public parking spot or do we need to pay a ticket?

@Appie_M
A 15 minutes' walk isn't that far, as I'm used to go from Craven Cottage to East Putney station by foot, which is a 30 minutes' walk! It would be nice to have a beer in Skoffel (Google Maps says Skoffeltsje, must be the same) before and/or after the game and have a little talk to all of you! Is it crowded over there at matchdays? Sorry, but I'm really into visiting your team! :wink:

I've got one more question. Are you guys great singers during a game? I've heard that you have some really strange standing terraces, from which all the singing is spread around the ground. Is that true? I like to be in a packed stadium where the atmosphere is stunning, so unlike Craven Cottage, where it's rather quiet compared to other teams..

Thanks in advance! :wink:

EDIT:

I discovered that you've got a sort of national anthem to be played before every home game. Now I saw this video, and I was wondering if this is the cafe you guys are talking about. Is this your cafe Skoffel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxjyOEOKtKA

To be honest, this sounds phenomenal, I just love it! :lol:
thecottager
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Mackan68 » 07-09-2013 19:35

Parking close to the McDonalds is completely free. The video you posted is in the pub in the stadium itself. It's called Frisian Fun Plaza. It's so big it even has a sailing boat and a plane in it. You will really be surprized :D About the atmosphere in the ALS, i guess you can compare it to your stadium. It depends on the quality of the game to be quiet or more like singing and yelling.
Mackan68
Superster

Berichtdoor Appie_M » 07-09-2013 19:45

Well, our atmosphere isn't that great compared to a lot of other clubs, because we have a lot of older supporters. It's also in the character of the Frisian People, usually pretty quiet people. At the north stand, the atmosphere is usually beter then elsewhere in the stadium.

And Skoffel and Skoffeltsje is indeed the same. It's not a big pub, so it's usually pretty crowded before and after matches. And the song in that Youtube video is our Frisian Anthem. It's played before every match, and everybody in the stadium sings along, just like a national anthem before a match of a national team. You'll love it, guaranteed! This is a legendary example during the cupfinal of 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6XZaNrfl5U
Appie_M
Superster

Berichtdoor thecottager » 07-09-2013 20:06

Wow look at those scarves! I think it looks even better than You'll never walk alone at Anfield! My expectations are high, so I hope it's worth the money :lol:
I'm trying to learn the Frisian anthem so I can bravely sing along with all of the other spectators! :wink:

I can't wait till September 29th!
thecottager
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Frisian Viking » 08-09-2013 08:19

thecottager schreef:@Frisian Viking
Your parking spot seems to be both near the motorway and the stadium. Is it a public parking spot or do we need to pay a ticket?

@Appie_M
I've got one more question. Are you guys great singers during a game? I've heard that you have some really strange standing terraces, from which all the singing is spread around the ground. Is that true? I like to be in a packed stadium where the atmosphere is stunning, so unlike Craven Cottage, where it's rather quiet compared to other teams..

Thanks in advance! :wink:

EDIT:

I discovered that you've got a sort of national anthem to be played before every home game. Now I saw this video, and I was wondering if this is the cafe you guys are talking about. Is this your cafe Skoffel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxjyOEOKtKA

To be honest, this sounds phenomenal, I just love it! :lol:

Yes, it is a public parking spot and you don't need to pay.

Our public isn't that famous for being great singers. As Appie_M mentioned it is a bit the nature of Frisians, we are most of the time down to earth people, and need some provocation before we start chanting (or a couple of litres of beer and some berenburg, you should try that last one ;-) ).

Well, if our biggest rival isn't the best provocation to have a great atmosphere...

As you may know Fryslân differs from other parts of The Netherlands because of our own language, culture, sports (keatsen, skûtsjesillen, fierljeppen and speed skating (elfstedentocht) ), heritage and women (Doutzen Kroes :-) ). And most Frisians are pretty proud to be one. One of the things we do is singing our anthem and showing our flag everywhere, a lot. At fairs, 'tent parties' (a party in a huge tent) and during sport events, you will see the Frisian flag and probably hear the Frisian anthem. You will see the pompeblêden (those red things on our flag) everywhere during your stay in Fryslân.

The derby you are going to visit has developed over time in a unique clash between the city of Leeuwarden (Cambuur, city pepole) and rural Fryslân (sc Heerenveen, farmers and other people from the countryside). Cambuur fans, despite living in our Frisian capital, don't call their selfs Frisians and 'hate' everything that has to do with Frisian culture and heritage. During the anthem that will be sung before the match they are going to make a lot of noise I think.

One last thing. As Wikitravel mentions (http://wikitravel.org/en/Friesland#Respect), if you don't want to be lynched by a pack of angry Frisians, don't call our language a dialect of Dutch and the red leaves of the water lillie on our flag hearts, those are pompeblêden ;-) .
In de naam van de vader
Van de zoon
Van de Heilige Geest

Abe
Frisian Viking
Superster

Berichtdoor Frisian Viking » 08-09-2013 08:21

Appie_M schreef:This is a legendary example during the cupfinal of 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6XZaNrfl5U

This one gives me goosebumps all over! Great video, even after I watched it a hundred times.
In de naam van de vader
Van de zoon
Van de Heilige Geest

Abe
Frisian Viking
Superster

Berichtdoor thecottager » 08-09-2013 09:11

Oh my! Am I in culture classes? :lol:
I watched a video about Frisia on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bto5xs1p800) which is quite amusing. I think it's a shame that not many people from here visit your province, because it's so versatile and relaxed. (That's how it looks like in the video, however)

Frisian Viking, your story is very bright and comprehensive, but I'm wondering why the Cambur fans hate Frisia, as their club is from the province's capital... :? Has it to do with previous wars or conflicts?

I'm looking forward to the atmosphere of that game, which I suppose must be stunning. Unfortunately the game is to be played on a Sunday, because I prefer games with its atmospheres at night. I hope you guys won't be drown out by the Cambur fans during the anthem. :lol: Don't worry, I know the anthem, so I'll join all of you! :wink:
thecottager
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Appie_M » 08-09-2013 09:29

Frisian Viking schreef:This one gives me goosebumps all over! Great video, even after I watched it a hundred times.

Same here. We also won that cup final so this was truly one of our greatest moments! :stan:
Appie_M
Superster

Berichtdoor Appie_M » 08-09-2013 09:34

thecottager schreef:Oh my! Am I in culture classes? :lol:
I watched a video about Frisia on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bto5xs1p800) which is quite amusing. I think it's a shame that not many people from here visit your province, because it's so versatile and relaxed. (That's how it looks like in the video, however)

Frisian Viking, your story is very bright and comprehensive, but I'm wondering why the Cambur fans hate Frisia, as their club is from the province's capital... :? Has it to do with previous wars or conflicts?

I'm looking forward to the atmosphere of that game, which I suppose must be stunning. Unfortunately the game is to be played on a Sunday, because I prefer games with its atmospheres at night. I hope you guys won't be drown out by the Cambur fans during the anthem. :lol: Don't worry, I know the anthem, so I'll join all of you! :wink:

Nobody really knows why those losers hate us, but what i do know is that they hate pretty much everyone and are being hated by pretty much anyone. As Frisian Viking explained, it's City Folk against Rural Farmers, but they are really taking the hate to the next level. I think it's probably jealousy and frustration, because we dwarf them in everything.
Appie_M
Superster

Berichtdoor Mackan68 » 08-09-2013 10:30

I rather would use these words: Simplicity, Stupidity, Brainlessness. That's for the city folks who hate everything and everyone who is proud to be Frisian.
Mackan68
Superster

Berichtdoor thecottager » 12-09-2013 18:12

I'm so glad to tell you that I know the lyrics of the Frysk folksliet. I can't write the lines down, but I can say the words.. :wink:
I've tried to read John Wright's song about Frisians, but I can't understand a word of it, of course.. It must be an expressive song, as it's a "piece of home".
Once again, I'm really looking forward to my visit to Heerenveen. My uncle guaranteed me your stadium has phenomenal acoustics, so a lot of chanting would cause a superb atmosphere! I'm getting nervous now.. :lol:
thecottager
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Mackan68 » 12-09-2013 19:02

thecottager schreef:I'm so glad to tell you that I know the lyrics of the Frysk folksliet. I can't write the lines down, but I can say the words.. :wink:
I've tried to read John Wright's song about Frisians, but I can't understand a word of it, of course.. It must be an expressive song, as it's a "piece of home".
Once again, I'm really looking forward to my visit to Heerenveen. My uncle guaranteed me your stadium has phenomenal acoustics, so a lot of chanting would cause a superb atmosphere! I'm getting nervous now.. :lol:

Better for you to already watch the wannabe derby of the Norht this sunday. Heerenveen plays against Groningen. Maybe you can watch a livestream on firstrowsports.eu. For now; Enjoy your nerves :lol:
Mackan68
Superster

Berichtdoor Frisian Viking » 12-09-2013 22:29

thecottager schreef:I'm so glad to tell you that I know the lyrics of the Frysk folksliet. I can't write the lines down, but I can say the words.. :wink:

Well, that's a thing your uncle remembers correctly, but that was before the stadium capacity was doubled in 2004. After that the acoustics have 'left the building'. In the time your uncle visited the stadium the roof was very low and all the rear walls where made of aluminium. All the singing kept echoing in the stadium. But those days have gone. The roof is way op in the air and all the echoing is gone. A pitty.
In de naam van de vader
Van de zoon
Van de Heilige Geest

Abe
Frisian Viking
Superster

Berichtdoor Mackan68 » 15-09-2013 18:57

Have you seen the pseudo-derby of the Norht Thecottager?? :D
Mackan68
Superster

Berichtdoor Ebiede » 15-09-2013 19:45

@Thecottager you will visited the most importend derby fur us! Don't wear something Yellow whit blue. :wink:

At 5 October i will Visited Fulham-Stoke City. Is er a pub near Cravven Cottage. Where can we drink a pint, without problems?
Spijt heb je morgen maar!
Ebiede
Superster

Berichtdoor thecottager » 15-09-2013 19:53

I've watched the first 30 minutes of the first half and all second half of today's clash. I can't say that the atmosphere was that noisy, but I can say that it was tense. Very tense!
I thought this game was played after the first sending off, but your team didn't produce what it had to.. That's why Groningen had the better of the play and got themselves a penalty and Dijks got the second red card of this game to his credit. Groningen scored from the penalty spot so the half-time score was 0-1.
The second half was much better, as Heerenveen started to push forward and create chances. Within ten minutes your team took the lead, thanks to two fantastic goals! From that moment I started to enjoy the game and the team. Unfortunately there was that unlucky goal for the visitors and there we were.. two a piece!
As Heerenveen scored two more goals, the atmosphere became better and better, so the 4-2 score at full time was well-deserved!

I hope to see an equal Heerenveen against your 'real' rivals, so we can sing 'Frysk bloed tsjoch op!' for 90 minutes! See ya in two weeks at the Abe Lenstra!! :wink:
thecottager
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor thecottager » 15-09-2013 20:01

Ebiede schreef:@Thecottager you will visited the most importend derby fur us! Don't wear something Yellow whit blue. :wink:

At 5 October i will Visited Fulham-Stoke City. Is er a pub near Cravven Cottage. Where can we drink a pint, without problems?

Don't be afraid, I'll buy myself a Heerenveen home kit before the start of the game. I've got to show you how proud I am to visit your team abroad.

Oh that sounds really good, I'll be there too, of course! :wink:
The Golden Lion is a really good and crowded pub in SW6. I advice you to get in early, as it can get rather busy!!
The Spencer Arms will give you an opportunity to meet some local Fulham supporters, who are always pleased to welcome foreign fans!
I advice you to go the ground as early as possible, as the pre-match atmosphere around the ground can be really good! Besides that, you could also wait for the visitors' bus arriving at the Cottage. There, you must be able to get some signatures of your favorite players. You can find this all on Stevenage Road.

Feel free to ask some more questions regarding a visit to Craven Cottage. :wink:
thecottager
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Frisian Viking » 15-09-2013 21:56

thecottager schreef:The second half was much better, as Heerenveen started to push forward and create chances. Within ten minutes your team took the lead, thanks to two fantastic goals! From that moment I started to enjoy the game and the team.

Please tell Marco van Basten that he needs his team to push forward allways. Then we play our best matches. But Van Basten always talks about 'control'. He wants to control everything and then we see boring games en often bad results. Pushing forward and let the team fight for every inch is what we need.
In de naam van de vader
Van de zoon
Van de Heilige Geest

Abe
Frisian Viking
Superster

Berichtdoor Appie_M » 17-09-2013 12:00

Boring is not the right word, matches of Heerenveen certainly aren't boring. We are the most productive team in the Eredivisie right now and the matches against AZ, Ajax and Groningen were really exciting! What he probably meant is that Heerenveen doesn't always win and that the tactic is to blame.
Appie_M
Superster

Berichtdoor Mackan68 » 17-09-2013 17:25

Friesiaan schreef:
Frisian Viking schreef:He wants to control everything and then we see boring games en often bad results.

Boring games? :shock:

#heeaz 4-2
#heeher 2-4
#heeaja 3-3
#heegro 4-2

I think that Frisian Viking reminds us to 70% of the matches last season. The most attractive matches were the ones where we pushed forward in every action. Not leaning back or taking control in the game. No 60-70% possession of the ball for us. Let the oponent try to play. Let our players hunt for the ball together prevent the oponent to play the ball to a teammate properly. And then switch over from defending into attacking with our fast forward wingers and our phenomenon Feanbogason. That's the way of playing that suits us the best. Results are clear.
Mackan68
Superster

Berichtdoor thecottager » 27-09-2013 09:06

I've noticed that Sunday's game is completely sold out!
How are you guys dealing with pre-match nerves?? :wink:
thecottager
Bankzitter

Volgende

Keer terug naar English